When attempting to open ERA, the splash screen sometimes appears then disappears and ERA doesn’t open.
This error occurs when the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings are enabled for all programs and services, but the ERA executable file has not added to the exception list. Users on the following operating systems may experience this error:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and later
- Windows 7 and later
To prevent this, you can enable DEP for essential windows programs and services OR add the ERA executable file to the exception list. The following instructions cover both options.
- Open Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings.
- Click the Advanced tab, then click Settings in the Performance section.
- Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
- To restrict DEP to essential windows programs and services and remove the block on ERA, select the Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only option.
- To restrict DEP to all programs and services, but add ERA as an exception:
- Select the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option.
- Click Add…
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Methodware\lib (the default location for ERA).
- Select mwcs.exe then click Open.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Re-launch ERA.