Ballot enables you to run calculations based on the votes received in a session. These range from simple totals and averages to more complex arithmetical functions. Once a formula is created, it is applied to all items. If any criteria used by the formula are not voted on for an item, no result is returned.
Create a Formula
- Navigate to Design > Formula
- Type the name for the formula (e.g. Total, Weighted average, Net score etc.) in the Name field
- Type a formula in standard arithmetical form, following the formats listed in the Help window and replicated below. The variables (A, B, C etc) relate to the criteria and are indicated in the Column Reference window at the right. Note that formulae are not case sensitive.
+ Addition: a+b+5
- Subtraction: a-b-3
/ Division: a/b
\ Integer Division: a\b
* Multiplication: a*b*c
^ Power: b^2 - Returns the value of b raised to the power 2.
Abs: abs(d-c) - Absolute returns a positive number for the given value.
Sqr: sqr(a*b) or sqrt(a+5) - Returns the square root for the given value.
Functions using arguments: Separate arguments with a ';'
Mean: mean(a;b;c;d;e;f;g) - Returns the mean average of a set of values.
Median: median(a;b;c;d) - Returns the middle of a set of values.
Max: max(c;d;e) - Returns the largest number in the set of values.
Min: min(a;c;g) - Returns the smallest number in the set of values.
- Select which formulae are to appear in the Vote and Report screen in the window that appears after you have completed your formula.
- Click OK to close the window.